Tuesday 31 March 2009

My thoughts on the course...

I’m going to start off giving a big THANKYOU to Mike Chris and Heather, for being brilliant teachers this year. You have all taught us so much.

I think it’s a great idea, doubling the amount of traditional art skills on the course. Knowing the core art skills gives you more to build upon. I like the idea of getting out more. I always end up being inspired when I leave the uni to work. I suggest you should organise more trips to other places. Trips should not just be limited to Leicester and the surrounding area. I’ve found some brilliant things around the country by just going places.

Another thing you should do is build upon the success of the facebook community! You should put up tutorials onto facebook and use the events utility more often. Set random events for drawing trips outside of lesson time and trips to bars ect. Try and make the course a more close knit community. If we see these events we will go. Every now and again you should set up a social gaming session after class (Once a month or whatever). I’m really emphasising on getting the people on the course interacting with everyone else because I believe that was the one thing that was missing from this year. The lessons were brilliant (although as you said more emphasis on traditional art would be good) everything was there, but I felt a bit distanced from everyone else on the course, I’ve only really just learnt everyone’s names, I’ve got to meet some interesting funny people more recently. I had a fun trip to Bradgate Park recently and got some work done as well. This was organised by Abby through the facebook community. If you teachers make your own events (even if you don’t go) I’m sure you’ll get lots more people going along and doing more work!

I think there is room to build upon the film sessions on Wednesdays. A discussion group after the film might be an idea, or get everyone to chat about films together in a forum or something similar.

Now I think about it there is one thing that was missing this year and that is digital painting tutorials. You should think about integrating Digital Painting into your lesson plan. I had to learn by myself from books, the internet and other class mates. A bit more help in this area wouldn’t go amiss. I don’t like to bitch, but I’ve said it now so there you go.

Once again thank you for this year, I’m looking forward to what is to come!!!

2 comments:

KwazySheep said...

I totally agree with the facebook thing, using the events could be really helpful

Michael Powell said...

Why not organise events and visits yourselves?