Monday 30 March 2009

Where do I see myself in 5 years time...

Before I came here my views on the industry were very different to my views now. I used to think I was good at making maps for counter-strike, but now I’ve found out that if you make a map using other peoples texture and objects, it’s not your map, it’s more their map.

While on the course I’ve learnt allot about drawing and Photoshop, I’ve learnt the complicated processes that go into creating an object in max. These are things that I didn’t understand before but now, getting to grips with them has opened my eyes to many avenues. I think I still want to keep my options open. I definitely want to go into the games industry, but I haven’t decided whether I should be a 3-D modeller or a Concept Artist. I think it’s too early to decide on this, but what I do know, is that I love to draw. I have had so much fun drawing around Leicester and taking trips elsewhere to draw. I get inspired by the craziest of things. I think I want to focus on becoming a concept artist. I love designing and inventing but I don’t want my skills in max to fall behind. Maybe I have this view about becoming a concept artist, because I’m still getting to grips with Max. I won’t lie to you, I have struggled with the basics of max, but I am getting there. I am beginning to make efficient meshes, I just get caught up in the intricacies of uvw unwrapping and texturing. Maybe I might change my mind when I get good at Max. I just need to keep working at it until I can do it. Maybe When I start to use max proficiently and confidently I might have more fun while making things and my views on where I want to go might change.

At the moment I’m still unsure. My mind is swimming with ideas but I don’t know which of them to act upon. I need to keep up the learning curve so I am able to make a confident choice in the future.

My ultimate goal in life is to work for a top games company such as Bungie, Ensemble, Rockstar or Valve for example. I want to make good games; I want to be part of the driving force behind them.

No comments: