Monday 15 December 2008

The first games for the world and the first games for me.

The very first computer games were not made for profit; they were experiments with technology. The first was made in 1948 and was inspired by ww2 radar. It was made with a cathode ray tube and simulated missile launches at stationary targets. Then in 1952 a graphical version of tic tac toe was created by a Cambridge university professor. 1961 saw the appearance or Spacewar. This was made by MIT students and was the first widely available computer game. These first initial games were the pioneers of what would become a massive entertainment industry that would eventually beat the annual profit of the film industry.
In the 70’s computer games split into many areas including hand held’s, arcade machines, university computers and home computers. 1971 saw the release of Computer Space; a re-vamped version of Spacewar that became the first mass-produced computer game. Computer gaming was begging to be realised as a profitable medium. 1972 saw the appearance of Atari and Pong. Pong was basically a graphical version of table tennis that saw 2 players move white barriers to hit a ball back and forth. Games like pong and space invaders inspired other similar games for the rest of the 70’s.
The first game that I ever player was ‘Sonic 2’ on the Sega Megadrive. I was 6 years old at the time. While my 5 year old brother was playing with power rangers toys I was ‘bopping’ Dr.Robotnik on the head. I still remember the time I first achieved super sonic on Sky chase zone. But a hilarious memory which I will take to the grave is when my mum stamped on the Sega Megadrive out of anger and walked out the room. I turned around to assess the damage only to find that she had activated a hidden cheat menu in sonic 2 (lol). Now if I state every computer game I ever played I would be here for days, so I will tell you my favourites in chronological order of when I played them (I will put an asterix next to my absolute favourites and 2 next to unforgettable masterpieces).
1) Sonic 2 #
2) Sonic and Knuckles #
3) Sonic 3
4) Golden Axe
5) Streets of rage 2
6) Goldeneye #
7) Perfect Dark ##
8) Donkey Kong 64
9) Teken three
10) GTA 2 #
11) Crash Bandicoot
12) Unholy war
13) Spyro
14) Resident evil
15) Resident evil 2 #
16) Duke Nukem
17) Medieval ##
18) Half Life
19) Timesplitters
20) Medal of Honour : Front Line #
21) SSX
22) Timesplitters 2 #
23) SSX 3 ##
24) GTA 3
25) Timesplitters: Future Perfect
26) Halo #
27) Burnout 3 #
28) Halo 2 ##
29) Black ##
30) Gears of war
31) Half life 2 #
32) Counter-Strike Source ##
33) Day of Defeat Source
34) Far Cry
35) Call Of Duty 2 #
36) Halo 3 #####
37) Dark Messiah : Might and magic ##
38) Bioshock
39) Crysis
40) COD 4
41) Gears of War 2
42) Mirrors Edge ##
Sorry for the lengthy list. If you’re still reading, have a gold star.
The reason I’ve always played games, Is because they are really fun and engaging. I reckon that most of my history of planet earth is based on Computer games. So in a way they educated me better that school did.

No comments: