Tuesday 16 December 2008

The Future of Gaming

The 21st century has seen the rise of killer graphics, inovative controls and blocbuster gaming titles. I’d say at the moment the PS3 is for football lovers and fans of Japanese titles, like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. The XBOX is for those in love with first person shooters, like me. The WII is for those who want to throw their remote control into a TV and break the screen (lol!). I think the main thing that makes any console appealing to a certain person, are the exclusive titles and the control system. The power of the system does not hold sway.
I know what I want out of a game. I want a massively multiplayer first person shooter, a bit like battlefield 1942. A massive detailed landscape. A single map the size of Fallout 3 or GTA 4. Each game has thousands of players at the same time in the game world. The game never ends. You just join the game in progress. I reckon we are not far away from this; in fact a game for PS3 is coming out soon called MAG (Massive Action Game), which is close to what I want. Of course the control system I want is inevitably going to happen over the next couple of decades: virtual reality. You plug yourself into a suit, put on a pair of goggles and you can control the game.
After watching ‘Human 2.0’ the other day I realised where we are eventually going to end up. The part where the monkey controls the arm with only his hand is the part i’m talking about! Humans will eventually be able to control a computer game with only our mind. I hope!?!
One thing that I’m worried about is a new technology coming out soon. It is a kind of sonar that can completely map out an envioronment, including the inside of buildings and build a 3-d model of it. Then again there will allways be a need of creativity, so what am I worried about. Let me leave you with somthing... A.I.

No comments: