Tuesday 6 January 2009

The Art Director

The role of the Art Director is massive. It requires massive experience, in the industry coupled with extraordinary talent. The Art director is essentially the Commander in a battle. Overseeing and managing his forces. It is a huge responsibility being the Art Director. The success of the game essentially rests on their shoulders.
Being the Art Director is a creative role. He/she is essentially responsible for every level, model, texture, ect. In the final game.
They have to create and manage a timeline from concept to final product. They have to make sure the team in united as one towards a single goal. They work closely with the recruiting team to build a brilliant Art Team. They offer feedback to the artists throughout the project.
This and many other tasks and responsibilities create what I see as a daunting task indeed. I never considered myself becoming an Art Director in the future, but now my mind is completely open to the prospect. Obviously it will take time and effort to procure the skills and experience needed to fulfil the job requirements, but none the less obtainable! I would have to develop an exceptional skill communicating with people and working with a team.
Maybe I’m looking too far into the future. I think right now I have to focus on becoming a good concept artist and 3d artist!

No comments: