Tuesday 6 January 2009

The Affect of New Games Journalism

Wow, all this time I’ve just limited myself to game magazines and websites like IGN; I would never have thought there are actually blogs and reviews that talk about games in such a personal and subjective manner. Reading a few of the links has opened up my eyes a little. Saving Private Donny made me open up a new tab in my browser to find out about Joint Operations; a game I gave no heed to when I heard about it years ago. When I first started to read Saving Private Donny, I thought it was just going to be a straight down review of a game, in a somewhat stylised way, but it’s not. It is a true life absorbing story that kept me glued till the end. I like the idea that the guys thought they could influence a kids future decisions by spawn killing him continuously. The story ends up being quite ironic, with the kid ending up trouncing the older guys in game, and announcing that he never wants to join the army but instead wants to become a fireman.
I agreed with Tim Rogers ‘Defence of Metal Gear Solid 2’. Why people thought the game was too crazy and post modern in the first place, I do not know. The first game was crazy and post modern as well. The article Gave a good defence of the game though Tim’s views on the gaming culture and Hideo Kojima.
I think games reviewers should embrace new games journalism, but I believe that the audience is not ready. I know personally when I flick though a Games magazine I don’t read the main story’s barely ever, unless I have a genuine interest in the game. I just flick though the magazine looking at pictures and there captions, and the final score. Games journalism faces a challenge. I’m looking forward to the impact that New games Journalism is going to have.

No comments: