Friday 9 January 2009

Halo 3: An Obsession

Chapter 1: The Start of a Legacy (lol)

By now you might have noticed the amount of times I’m referencing halo 3 in my blogs, so before I ruin any more future blogs, I’m going to get everything halo 3 related off my chest. I’m going to tell you how halo 3 affected my life, in both a positive and a sometimes negative way.

After bungie announced the release of halo 3 by showing a really cool trailer at e3, my mind went into worship mode. I clung to every tiny image, screenshot and article ever released on the web and in magazines. I was so excited; I even queued for crackdown for fuck sake, just so my place on the beta was guaranteed! The beta blew my mind; I remember how fun it was. I think the first couple of weeks of playing any game are the best weeks you will ever have, because everyone is shit and doesn’t know what’s going on half the time. Anything can happen; the game play takes a turn towards insanity. But then everyone learns the maps, weapons and tactics, and eventually every encounter end up playing out the virtually the same.

After the beta, my mind went back to scanning every information source, just to satisfy my lust for knowledge, my lust for halo 3 wisdom (god I sound so sad). Eventually the time arrived. The release was the next day and I was heading home to get some day sleep, so I would survive the night of queuing outside of the game store in Stevenage. On the way through my small home town of Hitchin I noticed that a small independent music/movie/game store was shutting its doors. I went up to the guy shutting it and asked him what time he was opening for the release the next day. He stopped what he was doing, paused and looked at me and said the magical words I will never forget ‘’do you want it now?’’. I was so shocked I just said ‘’O.K.’’ and my heart was beating all the way up to the counter. I fucking legged it home (yes that’s right, a 19 year old running through crowded streets. I looked like a right prat. But I was on a mission). Never had I been so excited in my entire life. You know when you get that feeling that anything can happen while you walking home. That gods just not going to let you be happy for once, like a chav is going to jump out of an alley and steal halo 3 from you. But that didn’t happen.

Over the next year I slowly got better and better and better. And so did my friends. The combination of split-screen gaming and online play was the perfect combination of training and fun.


Chapter 2: The Hunt for Perfection
I could never be satisfied. The time had come were I had stopped having fun, and had started to chase perfection. I knew how easy it was to get your level 50 in team doubles. But I wanted to stick it to the people by getting my level 50 in lone wolves. Only 5 % of Generals achieved their level 50 in lone wolves. I’ll tell you now; I still to this day haven’t managed it. I’ve reached level bloody 49. Yes that’s right. I just can’t seem to get that last level. It sucks big time!

My second target was to get a killionaire in lone wolves. It is the single hardest achievement in the entire game. It is impossible to achieve: no one’s done it before. People have achieved killionaires in team games and in social games, sure. But no-one’s managed it in ranked FFA lone wolves. The closest I ever got was a killamanjaro (7 kills) with the battle rifle! I was so proud of myself. The reason why it is so hard, well I’ll explain it to you. To get a killionaire you have to get ten kills in a row without dying. That’s easy you say. NO, it’s not. You also have to get each kill within 4 seconds of each other. Yes that’s right. If you get to 9 and it goes past 4 seconds before your 10th, it goes back to zero!

Queue drum roll... On the 25 of September 2008 I achieved a killionaire in lone wolves. I dropped the controller and shouted YES at the top of my voice. If I’m not mistaken, I was the first person in the world to do this. There was a bitter taste of irony that accompanied this achievement because I had achieved it on the exact anniversary of when I first played the game, in the exact same hour. Now that’s just fucking freaky.
Proof: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=757139553&player=XLAX%20360%20ELITE


Chapter 3: Rehab
Achieving the killionaire set me free. I can’t explain it, but I think I was finally satisfied. I didn’t need level 50 in lone wolves. I had a killionaire. I had finally completed halo 3.
Now I am like a recovered alcoholic. I play halo 3 occasionally, but just for fun! I don’t care about ranks or medals anymore; I am free to live my life!

Gamertags:
XLAX 360 ELITE - This is my secondary account and the one I achieved a killionaire with!
F1re 8lade - This is my main account

Add me and challenge me I dare you. Now that I have finally got this off of my chest I can forget about it forever. YAY:).